The piano teacher must establish a good communication with the students. Whether it is a beginner or a transfer student that wants to take piano lessons Singapore, the pupil will become interested and gain confidence in learning piano if the piano teacher succeeds in building a good relationship with the student at the same time make the piano classes very interactive and engaging. The piano teacher has to make the student understand that as the teacher he cares about the students just like their friends. Establishing your authority as the teacher at the first meeting and maintaining it always will make the students respect you in a friendly way.
The teacher has to create avenues for teaching piano lessons Singapore by organizing performance rehearsal, recital parties, and concerts to build piano interests in the student. It is very vital that the teacher understands that the speed or method of learning for every student is different. An outspoken student might enjoy recitations while a shy student might not like it one bit. Some students may like challenging material teaching piano lessons Singapore to motivate them but it could be frustrating to others.
The Lesson Duration
Whether the lesson is a 45 minutes lesson for beginner or an hour or more for the advanced student, or whether the lesson is conducted alone to in a group, the teacher teaching piano lessons Singapore should endeavour to prepare well for the lesson in advance. This is to ensure that the content of the learning lesson is well tailored to suit each student and also to know whether the students who take piano lessons Singapore are ready or not to play a difficult piano tune, study or undergo a technical drill. This is to prevent the pupil from encountering difficulties in the course of learning and gain the confidence of the students to keep the learning journey on.
It is very essential for the piano student to learn how to practice. Practice is to avoid or reduce the number of times mistakes occurs in the student performances. The assignment given to the students that take piano lessons Singapore must be proportionate. Let the student play it slowly, with one hand separately, to the first beat of the next measure. Piano teacher needs to assist the students to match or harmonise the rhythmic values, clap the rhythm, count the value, and correct the notes.
The piano teacher should help the students he or she is teaching piano lessons Singapore build good studying habit by also practicing at home. Make the students take note of the correct fingering when playing with just one hand. Then, play both hands together, start slowly, then play faster. Pay attention to the rhythm, technicality, accuracy, reading for self-study, or sight reading while playing the keyboard.
The Self-Learning Pieces
The Piano teacher has to ensure the self-study pieces given to the students he is teaching piano lessons in Singapore are easy enough, so that the student will be able to play well within a week without the help of the piano teacher. The teacher might later assign several pages to the student, but it should be the one he has already thought them during lessons. Despite the sight reading is a most important part of the lesson. The material assigned must be easy enough and contain only those fundamentals with which the student is familiar.
Do you know?
Starting Piano Study for Elementary Students
- Basic maturity – interview will be conducted for teacher to gather useful information, and to know what can and cannot do with a student. Interview can begin by asking students (especially young children) address, contact number, and other information. This is to get sign of learning ability and conduct observation of student about children maturity and ability to take instructions.
- Knowledge of Basic Concepts and Skills – some activities will be conducted to determine a student’s knowledge of basic piano-playing concepts. Game-like activities can be used to examine whether student knows right hand left hand, finger numbers, the musical alphabet, and few other common musical knowledges.
- Understanding of Pitch Elements – children can be asked to sing a familiar melody and sing back a few pitches that are within their voice range. Or the teacher can play pairs of pitches on the piano, asking student to tell whether the pitches move from high to low or vice versa. This is also checking the student’s ear development.
- Rhythm Readiness – the child can be asked to tap the foot and clap alternately using a steady beat following a familiar song. Or teacher can also clap a series of short rhythm patterns, asking the student to clap them back. If the student has difficulty with both rhythm and pitch, the teacher may want to suggest to delay keyboard instruction until the student appears to be ready.
- Development of The Hand – some exercises to examine whether student’s physical development is sufficient for piano lessons, like the efficiency on holding the hand shape and placing the fingers on individual white keys.