The fundamental of piano improvisation is jazz piano lessons, an impulse, spontaneous, and jamming shaping of the underlying music element. It doesn’t lay much emphasis on what it is played on but rather how it is played. The jazz piano improvisations styles have been established by some distinguish individual performers. However, no matter how different these styles are they all have a common feature.
One of the major characteristics is a strong and steady metric pulse and beat that are underlying and supporting the entire structure of musical manipulations. This pulse should be implied under long held notes and chords. Light tapping of the beat units with the right foot heeling on floor will help to maintain and emphasize the metric momentum. This is widely preferred and was used in playing most of the popular folk songs, children’s songs, and spiritual plays.
When a jazz is played well it won’t sound, frail and artificial either when played note by note as written, or with an imaginative input from the performer. The play requires a certain degree of creativity from the piano player. The delivery must be easy going, relaxed, and individualized. That is why jazz piano improvisation lessons are recommended for advanced piano lessons students help them learn gradually and encourage them to explore. The teacher should teach the arrangement of tunes, the style and the musical treatment of the theme, but how it should be executed and played should become the avenue where the student should bring out his creativity under the guidance of the piano improvisation lessons teacher. Jazz piano improvisation lessons can be a fun and pleasurable piano education.
In fact teaching jazz piano lessons has to impart the joy and vitality of African, American and European musical essence to the learning content. However, there are much more noticeable differences between African and European concepts of rhythm than the similarities. European rhythmic elements are organized to reinforce a strong metrical scheme and a repeating pattern of accents in beats. The music slows out of a constant tension and relaxation effected against a metrical background. On the other hand, African rhythm involves more adding or inclusion where one rhythm is added to another with bar lines and with no sense of tempo. This is derived from the rhythm and stress of tribal language. It evolved and developed through the use of drums as the tool of communication.
Jazz is originally an American musical expression deeply influenced by African folk traditions and European classical elements. Its various forms and stylistic manifestations – including ragtime, blues, swing, bebop, and modern jazz – which are fertile grounds on which rhythm flair, technical dexterity, and improvisational skill can grow. Playing jazz can offer the student an opportunity, which is rare in the normal teaching process, to change the concept of piece with each performance. The piano improvisation lessons teacher may use jazz materials to teach the student all the traditional concepts, from harmony, rhythm, voice leading, to dynamics, while employing a format which is appealingly contemporary, and which is very interesting to most students.
Do you know?
Piano Lessons Teaching and Learning for Adults
The methods of piano courses developed for the adult beginner should consider:
- The method used should be appealing to adult learners by exploring more on text, musical content and theory. Since they can understand abstract concepts and ideas more quickly and easily as compared to children.
- Teaching and learning content, format of notes and books should not be childish. Font size of the reading materials should be averagely sized print, and bigger size for senior learners.
- Piano teacher should analyse the maturity of the students finger and hand coordination. Some are highly developed due to the sports activities that the adults have gone through. Some are found as difficult as children do.
- Popular musical tunes should always be introduced whenever possible.
- Playing by ear and harmonizing familiar melodies are important for some adults as well.
- Sometimes teaching content chosen should support adult learner preconceived goals as they have higher expectations than children.
- Adults can be willing to work hard than children sometimes. Successful adult methods can provide enjoyable yet positive and aesthetic learning experience.